WHY IS ALPACA SUSTAINABLE & ECO-FRIENDLY
- ANTIBACTERIAL & WASHLESS:
Alpaca knitwear is virtually self-cleaning due to its antibacterial properties, and because of its lack of lanolin, it remains completely odour-resistant at all times.
The antibacterial Alpaca fibre only requires wash-less garment care by hanging the knitwear in a steamy bathroom or airing it out by the window. Our own personal baby alpaca garments haven’t been washed since produced in 2014!
We believe it is good to wash less, because garment washing contributes to a significant carbon footprint, causing excessive water and energy wastage. For stains, use a plant-based spot remover, the hand-wash cycle with max. 40°C temperature or find an organic dry cleaner. Note: use a washing bag.
Sustainably engineered, this alpaca garment is virtually indestructible and can be worn for years, reducing the unhealthy demand for new products.
The heavyweight double-sided 100% baby alpaca knit is made of long fibres and tightly knitted yarns – preventing wool pilling, thinning and breaking of the knitted fabric.
The timeless aesthetic, simplicity, and the reversible function offers two flexible wearing options. Thanks to the durable finishing, this garment will be a long- term and easy – care companion, particularly for travellers and adventures.
When the life of an alpaca garment has eventually passed, it is biodegradable, due to its natural content. Alpaca is lacking in lanolin and other oils found in sheep’s wool, thus, no harsh chemicals are needed to process alpaca, making alpaca ranching 100% natural. Our dying process is safe for the environment and all dyes are certified and skin-friendly. Opting for natural clothing that requires no washing further has a positive impact on our environment, as by comparison washing synthetic garments gives off around 1900 individual fibres, which can end up in the oceans and can make their way into the food chain by entering the system of animals and ourselves.
Alpaca naturally regrows every year and is classified as a very durable, sustainable, and long-lasting fibre. The valuable alpaca fleece is shorn much like sheep wool, annually and in spring. Alpacas are much happier in warm weather once the fibre is removed and by the time cold weather returns the sustainable fibre regrows.
The alpacas adaptation for living in harsh environments, such as the Andes mountains, grants them a light eco-footprint. When compared to other grazing animals, alpaca’s soft feet leave terrain undamaged and their low-nutrition eating habits result in minimal water and acreage consumption.
WHY IS ALPACA HYPOALLERGENIC, ODOUR- & PERSPIRATION RESISTANT
- Alpaca is considered hypoallergenic because it lacks lanolin. Lanolin is traditionally found in sheep’s wool and irritates many wearers upon contact. Lanolin binds to dust, microscopic allergens, perspiration and odours. Most people who have wool based allergies will not be allergic to the smooth and itch-free alpaca fibre.
WHY IS ALPACA THERMOREGULATING & MOISTURE-WICKING
- Alpacas have evolved in one of the most volatile climates – the Andes Mountains. Their fleece creates the perfect coat for the alpaca’s environment, becoming a natural barrier to keep cold air from getting to the skin at night, and in the heat of the day, keeping them comfortably cool. In other words their smart thermo-regulating fleece perfectly adapts to the changing climate, allowing them to never get too hot or too cold. The thermo-regulating properties likewise work for humans – keeping you warmer in the winter and cooler and even UV protected in the summer.
- Thermoregulation is considered to be one of the most important properties of textiles describing comfort. Alpaca creates pockets of microscopic space with the ability to hold air in the hollow shafts in the center of the fiber, which absorbs and stores body heat.
- Sweat is your body coolant. When it is hot, your body produces it. Sweat evaporates, and it removes body heat. If sweat remains on your body surface you will feel cooler. Unfortunately you will also start to smell more or less but alpaca wool reduces any odour and perspiration at the same time, as moisture is wicked away by alpaca wool clothing.
WHY IS ALPACA SOFT BUT VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE
- The alpaca haptic is a combination of the soft texture of short cashmere fibres and a silky smooth feel of silk fabric.
- Yet the long fibres provide the strength of modern synthetics, making it much more robust than sheep wool and cashmere.
WHY IS THIS ALPACA PRODUCT ETHICAL
- Ethical production is a holistic approach to the manufacturing process that focuses on good health for all and everything involved. R.EH as an ethical brand cares about every part, from design, material, production, safety, health, fair working conditions and prices. We want to manufacture safe products safely with our family businesses for our conscious customers. Thus, our products cause no health risks to manufacturers, users and no damage to the environment.
- Inspired by the organisation La Escuelita e.V.`s willingness to help, R.EH decided to donate 5 € of every sold product worth more than 140 € to their non-profit association. The gross price only includes a customer donation of 2,50 €. The other 50% are deducted from R.EH`s own profit per sold item. The collected donations will be transferred to the non-profit organisation La Escuelita e.V. at the end of every year. Read more here: PROJECT
100% alpaca (baby)
Premium warp sateen, real selvedge, 100% Polyester
100% recycled cardpaper
100% waxed cotton
100% recycled cardboard
100% recycled cardpaper
Design time: 2 hours
Development time: 28 hours
Production time: 2 1/2 hours
Owner: Edilberto Muñoz
Handsewn Label: 5 min
Made in Peru and Germany
WOOL: 50,57 €/kg (55,75 $/kg)
0,60 kg x 65,00 € = 39,00 €
TOTAL MATERIAL COST:
TOTAL PRODUCT COST:
R.EH MARK UP (excl. VAT):
91,50 € X 2,0 = 183,00 €
RETAIL MARK UP (excl. VAT):
183,00 € X 0,3 = 54,90 €
RETAIL MARK UP (excl. VAT):
183,00 € + 54,90 € = 237,90 €
The retail mark up covers a part of the R.EH research & design time, production development, studio costs, utility costs, transportation, office supplies, maintenance and costs of the online shop, paypal service, insurance, legal and accounting costs and marketing.
5€ will be donated to the non-profit association La Escuelita e.V. The gross price solely includes a donation of 2,50 € by the customer. The other half is deducted from R.EH`s own profit per sold R.EH item.
R.EH RETAIL PRICE (incl. 2,50 € donation by the customer, excl.VAT): 240,40 €
This price is applicable to non-EU customers. Import duty taxes apply.
R.EH RETAIL PRICE (incl. 2,50 € donation by the customer, incl.VAT): 286,08 €
This price is applicable to EU customers only. 19% VAT is included in this price.
NOTE: All prices are calculated per 1 item.